The founder of Ironton, John Campbell built his home in 1850. Located at 305 North 5th Street, Ironton, Ohio, the house is located at the corner of Lawrence and 5th Streets. The large mansion is an example of Italianate architecture. The house has twenty-two rooms. A sandstone foundation supports the house which covers a fourth (1/4) of a city block. The walls are brick set in Flemish bonding. The house has a black walnut staircase and solid cherry and marble fireplaces. A two car garage was added to the north side of the house. A “puddle iron” fence surrounds the property.
Not only was the house the home of John Campbell, the house was a known stop on the Underground Railroad.
Today, the John Campbell house is the home of the Community Action Organization.