In August 1961, the Ironton Machine Shop building was claimed to be the oldest building in Ironton. Erected in 1852, the machine shop was built shortly after the city was founded. It went into operation on July 24, 1852 under the management of J. M. Merrill & Co. The machine shop carried many names over the years including Lambert & Gordon Steamboat Machine Shop, Lambert Brothers, Olive Foundary and Machine Works, and Ironton Punch & Shear Company. Meehan Steel Products purchased the building located on Second Street near Etna Street. Most of the original plant was rebuilt after 1920.