Ironton Rolling Mill

     The Ohio Iron and Coal Company started the Ironton Rolling Mills in the later part of 1851. They wanted to create a company to process the pig iron the produced and turn it into something. By creating the Ironton Rolling Mills, they created one of the first major industry in Ironton.
     The mill was located on Storm’s Creek near the mouth of the Ohio River. The mill’s first heating occurred on March 1, 1852.
     On December 20, 1866, two of the mill’s boilers exploded. Scott Campbell and Company was the owner. According to the newspaper, the fire had started several hours before the explosion. The fire department was on the scene trying to put out the blaze. The mill had six boilers and two exploded. Scalding water was thrown for yards. One boiler was driven through the mill, knocking down two or three supports, crossed the street, and crashed through the front door of the Belfonte Iron Works blacksmith shop before landing in the creek bed. The large stack fell. The shed housing the boilers was demolished. Three people lost their lives including Edward Friel, a fireman.
     After the fire had ended, the company saw a loss of $6,000. Four to five weeks was spent rebuilding the mill before it could be reopened.
     Reopen it did. The mill continued to produce products. In one day in 1817, the mill sent 275 tons down the river.