Roosevelt Hospital was established in 1915. Located at 321to 323 South 5th Street, the hospital served Lawrence County for only a short period of time. Dr. Dan Gray was listed as proprietor of the hospital until it closed around 1923.
Although the hospital closed, the building remained in use. In 1924, Floyd L. Barker used 322 South 5th Street for the office of the Ironton Machine Shop Company. Louis E. Haley resided at 323 South 5th Street.
By 1926, Louis Haley had moved out and Dr. Ralph Massie used 323 South 5th Street as his offices. In the 1926-1927 phone directory, Massie was listed as a physician and surgeon. His office hours were 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
From 1928 to 1938, the building was known as the Roosevelt Apartments.
In 1940, the building became private residences.
By 1978, the building became the Roosevelt Apartments again. The owner was Hershell Estepp. Hershell was also the manager of Walker’s Family Shoe Store. Estepp remained the owner until 1991.
The former Roosevelt Hospital still stands today and is currently being rented as apartments.