The first school named St. Joseph was erected in 1898.
In 1911, Nannie Kelley Wright sold the property on South 6th Street between Quincy and Adams Streets (Ironton, Ohio) to the Saint Joseph Parish. It was the original site of the Nannie Kelley Wright House which currently resides at 917 South 6th Street, Ironton, Ohio.
In 1924, the current St. Joseph High School was built. The school officially opened its doors in 1925 at the South 6th Street location. The first students to attend all twelve years of school at St. Joseph graduated in 1937. The class had thirty-seven students.
Architecture of the Building
The St. Joseph Catholic School building is an example of Jacobethan architecture. Built in 1924, the school stands three stories tall on a stone foundation. The exterior walls are brick with stretcher bonding. The school is in a rectangular shape. The main extrance has a center ogee opening with octagonal shaped columns or pilasters at each side.