Located on the corner of Third Street and Kemp Avenue, the original building for the Whitwell General Store was built by John Isaacs in 1892. Mr. Isaacs was not stranger to the grocery business. He started his business on Second and Buckhorn Street in 1880. In 1901, Sam W. Boothe purchased the store and changed the name to S. W. Boothe & Co. Groceries and Feed. During Boothe’s ownership, the building became a postal substation and the city wagon scales became a part of the building. Mr. Boothe was a civic leader, who helped stage the apple shows in Ironton from 1914 to 1920. The building has since housed Lynd-Schmidt Grocery, the Appetite Shoppe, and the Sunshine Bakery.