Fairland Schools

Fairland Schools

    Enoch Doddridge taught at the first school in what was to become the Fairland School District. The school was opened in 1815, had packed dirt floors and was made from logs. By 1879, a four room high school was built in Proctorville, B. F. Forgey became the teacher and eventually became the principal for three years. The first graduates, Emma Eaton, Maude Wilgus and valedictorian, Ernest Suiter, completed their education in 1893. Proctorville High School saw many famous graduates including: the Bay sister (daughters of Capt. George Bay), Dr. Nellie Yost of Huntington, and Judge Frank Eaton. 
    In 1949, Proctorville High School and Rome High School consolidated. Both schools moved to the old Rome High School building and the building was renamed Fairland High School. 
    The former Rome High School was used until in 1956 a new Fairland High School was built. Nine rooms were added to the building in 1968-1969. 
    1967 saw a major expansion of the Fairland Schools when two new schools were started. Fairland East Elementary, built on the location of the old Rome High School, opened its doors on December 1, 1968. Fairland West Middle School began classes on December 2, 1968. In 1983, Fairland East had twelve classrooms added. By 1990, the three Fairland Schools (Fairland East, Fairland West and Fairland High School) had 100 teachers, 60 non-teaching professionals, and 1,783 students.
 


Source URL: https://briggslibrary.com/content/fairland-schools