Dr. Briggs left assets to be used by the Trust for the acquisition of books and materials for a reading room in Ironton. His desire was that Ironton would have a public library for the benefit of its residents. In 1893, in Memorial Hall, the library was opened to the public as Briggs Library Institute. The Trust diminished greatly by the 1930s depression, but in the 1970s local patrons replenished the Trust so that capital gains from investments could be set aside for Library materials and building upkeep.
The Caleb Briggs Library Trust Fund has purchased many items over the years for the Ironton Library Branch. The following is a list of how the Caleb Briggs Trust Fund has been used:
- Funded the renovation of the Burr home to accommodate library and reading rooms in 1919
- Initiated a fund drive for the current building in 1960
- Funded asbestos remediation project in the 1980s
- Partially funded the Library renovation and expansion in 2005-06
- Purchased the ST ViewScan Digital Microfilm Scanner for the Hamner Room in 2013
The Caleb Briggs Library Trust is a tax-exempt 501(c)3 non-profit organization and will accept donations and gifts allowable by the IRS.
If you would like more information on Donations and Planned Giving, contact Susan Heald, President 304-654-9332 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Donations can be sent to 311 Park Ave, Ironton, Ohio 45638